Mills‎ > ‎

Northfield Windmill, Soham

A small hexagonal smock mill, understood to have been built as a fen drainage mill in C18 which was later (~1834) moved to its present site, raised on a brick plinth up to three storeys and converted to grind corn. Inside, much of the machinery is intact, including the windshaft, wallower and main shaft. The great spurwheel on the ground floor drives two grinding stones on the stone floor.

The mill was 'restored' with an English Heritage grant in the mid-90s with new weatherboarding, cap and sails (shortened with 1/3rd shutters) but has never turned due to distortion of the cap/curb. In turn the last owners agreed for the fantail to be removed for safety. Over the years, the cap deformation has generated serious leaks and bird ingress causing deterioration of the internal beams.

Since taking ownership in mid-2012 an 'emergency works' schedule was started aided by a small grant from East Cambridgeshire DC.

In Summer 2014 the sails were removed for inspection and refurbishment. The stocks were then removed in Autumn 2016 and appear to be in re-usable condition. Future works include repairing the cap/curb and in time restoring the mill to 'working' order.

Opening times - see calendar: To see all events, pull the scrollbar down and up several times or press "look for more" repeatedly.

We welcome visitors by appointment. Volunteers also welcome! Please enquire.

Umesh and Rachel Patel


Mill Farm
12 The Shade

Grid reference - TL 58717 75091
OS Sheet - 143

Just off the A142 bypass, north of Soham. From Ely, approaching Soham, follow signs to Newmarket turning first left off the roundabout. From Newmarket, follow signs to Ely, after the 'Northfield Road Crossroads' sign, right turn just before the roundabout.

Northfield Windmill