Mills‎ > ‎

Garboldisham Post Mill


Garboldisham post mill was probably erected in the late 1700s and a piece of the original woodwork bears the inscription WR 1780. It is known that there were millers in the village in the 1500s and later in 1739, one Ishmael Pizzey bequeathed his windmill to his wife Penelope.

After modernisation c.1830, the mill was powered by 4 double shutttered patent sails, each with 8 bays of 6 shutters that were struck by rack and pinion. The 8 bladed fantail was mounted on a carriage attached to the stairway. The mill then had 2 pairs of underdriven French burr stones in the head of the buck. The brick roundhouse was 1½ storeys high, the upper window was horizontally barred and its roof was plastered. There was a single door and the walls were tarred to a height of 5 feet. The buck was painted white and after 1906 was roofed with iron sheeting.

1972: Adrian Colman began restoration of the mill

2005> Some flour milled on the premises and a large selection of cereal products on sale

Opening times - see calendar: To see all events, pull the scrollbar down and up several times or press "look for more" repeatedly.

Open for viewing by appointment and flour sales

Adrian Colman
01953 681593


Grid reference - TL [xxx xxx]
OS Sheet - [xxx]


Garboldisham Post Mill

Holidays in United Kingdom