Mills‎ > ‎

Downfield Windmill, Soham


Downfield windmill is also known as Pollard’s mill. The earliest part is the bottom 8ft of the tower, c1726. In the mid-19th century the original smock mill built on this base was raised by two storeys or so. Following gale damage in 1887, in 1890 the wooden-towered ‘smock’ part was rebuilt in brick, so it is thus an octagonal tower mill. It worked until 1954 when the fantail fell off. It was restored to working order between 1975 and 1980, and worked until the late 1990s.

The mill is currently undergoing a full restoration with new stocks, sails, fantail and internal refurbishment. The new sails and stocks were raised in Summer 2015 and completion is due in Spring 2016 - new image to follow!

Opening times - see calendar: To see all events, pull the scrollbar down and up several times or press "look for more" repeatedly.

Usually open for National Mills Weekend in May and Heritage Open Days in September (restricted access until restoration is completed)

Enquiries
Andrew Kite

Email
andrewKite07@gmail.com

Website
www.windmillworld.com/millid/2403.htm
Location
Windmill Close
Soham
Cambridgeshire

Grid reference - TL 608 717
OS Sheet - 154

Downfield Windmill, Soham

downfield@teamsmills.org